Sunday, December 2, 2012

Rookie Errors at Glacial Trail 50M

At the Mile 23 Aid Station
October 9, 2011, I entered my first ultramarathon.  Why not sign up for one of the toughest 50 mile courses in the Midwest?  Having just finished the Fox Valley Marathon, I was persuaded that "you can do an ultra."  Well, probably should have done the 50K. 

Anyway, after spending the night in Fond du Lac, WI, I made my way to the start in Greenbush where I made mistake #1.  I missed the turn in the dark and got lost.  As a result, by the time I made it to the Fire Station where the race began, I'd already missed the start of the 50M race.  I grabbed my registration materials, and headed out about 15 minutes late.  Then, mistake #2, I missed the turn onto the Ice Age Trail and almost did a circle back to the start before I realized my error.  That cost me about 2 miles or so.

I then went out to try to catch up and found the course to be very, very technical after leaving the pine tree area (really nice).  The trail in spots is very rocky and some of the rocks on the uphills were loose, as well as on the downs.  The temperature was climbing into the 80's as I made my way.  But, at about mile 10, I fell down a hill and after finding nothing broken, mistake, #3, somehow I got turned around and starting running backwards.  I didn't realize my mistake (all the while wondering why I was seeing all the 50K runners going the other way, until I got to AS1.  Then, I realized, oops, I've been here before.

As a result, by the time I got to the Mile 23 Aid Station, I was behind the cut off.  But, not by too much, I thought.  However, the heat was up and I saw evidence of many damaged runners stopping and collapsing at 23.  I was told if I didn't hurry, that I wouldn't make the turnaround AS and likely would be unsupported the rest of the way.  As I was still having fun, I decided to head out and got to about mile 27.  At the point, I realized my progress would not get me to the turnaround in time.  Thus, I did not make mistake #4, I called by friend Brandi Henry who was cheering many of us and arranged for a pick up.  Thus, I got my first DNF.  But, I learned a lot. 

First, I realized I could do it if I got there in time.  Second, I discovered that I enjoyed just making the effort.  Third, my friends and the people at the Aid Stations were super!

During the run, I wore Salomon XT 2's.  They held up great especially on the techical portions of the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment