Saturday, December 1, 2012

Catching the ultra running itch

 At the Kettle Moraine Endurance Runs 100K, June 2012.  This was about mile 40.  My knee was hurting (later determined to be an IT band issue) but I was pushing on and finished in 16:02 well under the 18:00 cut off. 

An Introduction

Look at that gut.  Well, it's been quite a 2012 as I officially entered the ultra running world.  My first effort, after finishing the Twin Cities Marathon in 2010, the Lake Geneva, Madison and Fox Valley Marathons in 2011, was the Glacial Trail 50 miler in October 2011.  I made some big rookie mistakes.  I got lost on the way to the start, so I got there late.  Then, I went out too fast trying to catch up.  I got lost twice on the course and then, when the heat started to blow up experienced runners I got to the 26 mile mark and realized I was melting and would likely have to finish unsupported.  Thankfully, Holly Bochantin's fiance, Bill, Ric Nienstedt and Brandi Henry Jacobs, were there to help me survive my first (and thus far, only, DNF (Did Nothing Fatal!)). 

Since, January 2012, I finished the Clinton Lake 30, the 30 mile night run at Potawatomi Trails, the Earth Day 50K, the Ice Age Trail 50M and the Kettle Moraine Endurance Runs 100K.  I also ran the Crystal Lake Half Marathon and the Rock N' Roll Half Marathon. 

In August, I suffered a back injury which prevented me from running the North Country 50M and The North Face 50M as planned.  I'm now getting back in shape (and due to PT and focusing on core work, a good part of that gut is gone) and am planning on making my first 100M attempt at Potawatomi Trail in April 2013.  I have more to say about the races above in other posts.

Run happy, run far, run strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment